Certificate in Special Events
Special events are sporting, business, cultural or other type of activity that occur during a limited to fixed time and aim to generate money, gain publicity, raise awareness, increase or improve reputation, and/or recognize people in an organization or it successes. Events bring people together to celebrate and mark occasions great and small.
A Certificate in Special Events at FSU Panama City prepares students for various employment opportunities in the special events industry planning a variety of types of events such
- expositions and tradeshows
- fairs and festivals
- meetings and conferences
for a variety of providers including:
- sports and tourism for government agencies
- non-profit organizations
- private companies
- resort and commercial properties
- parks and recreation agencies
This program requires 12 credit hours of course work offered as a combination of two distance learning, one hybrid and one face-to-face or online. Four courses provide students with the knowledge and skills of the latest techniques in special events needed as a future professional.
- LEI 3312 Introduction to Special Events (3 credit hours)
offered face-to-face and online Fall and Spring
LEI 3312 Introduction to Special Events introduces students to special event planning and prepares them to design and implement a variety of special events for leisure, recreation and park organizations, community organizations, nonprofit agencies, associations, corporations and other organizations.
- LEI 4314 Event Operations and Management (3 credit hours)
offered hybrid (face-to-face with online components) Spring
LEI 4314 Event Operations and Management is an advanced course in event planning and operations that will provide students the opportunity to apply skills and concepts needed to plan and produce successful events. The focus will be on managerial aspects of events such as financing, economic impact, promotion and legal issues involved with special events.
- LEI 4561 Special Event Promotions (3 credit hours)
offered online Spring
LEI 4561 Special Events Promotions presents students with an overview of standard event promotional techniques used by event producers and includes online marketing strategies. Research, creativity, writing, analysis and organization are skills required to succeed in this course.
- LEI 4864 Technology for Events (3 credit hours)
offered online Fall
LEI 4864 Technology for Events introduces students to the variety of ways computer applications and other technologies are used in the planning, design, marketing and evaluation of events.
LEI 4864 Technology for Events has been approved for the Liberal Studies for the 21st Century curriculum, effective Fall 2017. This course is approved for the Computer Competency designation.
To be accepted into the Certificate in Special Events at FSU Panama City, students must be accepted by Florida State University as an undergraduate degree seeking or non-degree seeking student.
Courses offered in the Certificate in Special Events program can be taken:
- as part of the Recreation, Tourism and Events major,
- as a concentration of electives within other majors offered by FSU such as:
- Business Administration
- Hospitality Management
- Professional Communication
- Music Education
- Sport Management
- Retail, Merchandising and Product Development
- Public Administration
- Non-profit Management
- or as a stand-alone certificate for students not in a degree seeking undergraduate program currently employed in the special events or a related industry or desiring a career change as a path to employment.
Admission to the undergraduate Certificate in Special Events program is neither a degree program nor a minor.
Students interested in pursuing the certificate should submit the application and supporting documentation to the Certificate Coordinator. The application consists of:
- A completed application form
- One letter of recommendation
- Current resume
- Statement addressing why they want to earn the certificate and how the certificate will contribute to their goals.
Application materials should be submitted by email to Rosemary Prince, MS, CPRP, Recreation, Tourism and Events, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadlines for each semester are as follows:
Fall - August 1
Spring - December 1
- The submission of an application does not guarantee admission to the program.
- Degree seeking students must be accepted to both the University and the Certificate in Special Events program.
- Non-degree seeking and transient students must apply for admission through the FSU Panama City campus Undergraduate Application Deadlines and then contact the College of Applied Studies for acceptance into the Certificate in Special Events program.
- Application for admission to the Certificate program may be made by:
- any undergraduate student in good standing at Florida State University, or
- any individual eligible to enroll as an undergraduate-level non-degree-seeking or transient student.
- Students must apply and be admitted to the certificate program in advance of beginning the coursework.
- Students who have begun coursework and desire to earn the certificate must apply and be admitted to the certificate program within the first semester they enroll in a certificate course.
- The student must earn a C or higher in each of the four courses taken for credit; and maintain a cumulative 2.5 (C+) grade-point average (GPA) or higher in all undergraduate Certificate in Special Events courses attempted in order for the certificate to be granted.
- Standardized Test Requirements: None. Special Students and Transient Students must meet whatever requirements the university imposes for admission in that classification.
- Time limit for completion of the program: The certificate program must be completed within three years of its initiation.
Certificate in Special Events Program Coordinator